The popularity of CBD and its products as anti-anxiety supplements is continually growing, but does CBD help with anxiety attacks and how to use CBD oil for anxiety? Let’s learn more about the potential benefits of CBD for people with anxiety and whether it could be considered a useful treatment option.
Getting Familiar With CBD
Cannabidiol (CBD) is an active substance and one of more than 100 cannabinoids, naturally produced from cannabis (marijuana and hemp) plants. Numerous scientific CBD tests showed its benefits and healing properties as a medical treatment. Another advantage of CBD is lack of psychoactive properties. That means CBD oil won’t give any feelings of intoxication or the “high”, as does another cannabis component – Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
Although many CBD products contain some traces of THC compound, these small concentrations can cause euphoria of changes in a state of mind.
CBD For Anxiety
The human body has plenty of different receptors that are designed to receive signals from stimuli in the organism. After consumption, CBD is able to interact with CB1 and CB2 receptors in the central and peripheral nervous systems. Cannabidiol may alter serotonin signals, which play an important role in your mental health. Low serotonin levels are typical for people who have depression, but also may cause anxiety.
Early researchers showed the ability of CBD oil to help relieve anxiety. Some people with anxiety are able to manage their condition with CBD instead of regular antidepressants. However, let’s find out how CBD consumption can potentially help in various states of anxiety.
For generalised anxiety
CBD has been proven to decrease stress in rats with a generalised anxiety disorder (GAD). Results confirmed decreased behavioral signs of anxiety. Also, CBD improved physiological symptoms of anxiety, such as increased heart rate.
For other forms of anxiety
CBD may also be beneficial for people that are subjected to other forms of anxiety, including social anxiety disorder (SAD) and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). After treatment with CBD oil, people experience a reduction of anxiety levels. CBD also helps to regulate anxiety-induced insomnia.
What’s more, cannabidiol is considered an effective remedy in case of PTSD symptoms, such as having nightmares and replaying negative memories. CBD can be used both as a standalone PTSD treatment and as a supplement to traditional treatments like different medications and cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT).
For other neurological disorders
Cannabidiol has also been studied in other neurological disorders. Constant CBD consumption has a positive impact on the neural system, which has been shown to reduce the cognitive decline of older people. CBD has also been shown to help with performance and concentration, strengthens your memory, minimises the incidence of migraines and headaches.
CBD oil also has anti-seizure properties that are useful for children with disorders like epilepsy. Furthermore, higher doses have been shown to improve acute symptoms of schizophrenia. CBD effectively reduces psychotic symptoms by blocking THC-induced psychosis in the brain.
How To Take CBD Oil
CBD comes in different forms, from oils and creams to capsules and candies. There is no one exact CBD product that works better or worse. Results that you get depend on the condition and the person using it. That’s why it is essential to choose a more suitable and effective method for you. There are four ways to use CBD oil for people with anxiety.
- Oils. CBD oils, tinctures and oral sprays are one of the most popular options to consume CBD. They are often taken orally or can be mixed with meals and beverages of your choice. Many people also prefer to take CBD oil sublingually by dropping the liquid under the tongue and waiting for 60-90 seconds before swallowing. This method allows CBD to be absorbed through the capillaries under the tongue and get into the bloodstream more quickly;
- Vape products. This is one of the fastest methods to experience the effects of CBD, which is essential in an acute anxiety situation. You can inhale CBD through a pre-filled CBD vape pen or cartridge;
- Edibles like CBD gummies and candies are also becoming more popular due to their convenient form of consumption. Keep in mind: edibles consumption isn’t a fast-acting method, yet it provides long-lasting effects due to the slow release of CBD.
- Capsules. Such products are a convenient and simple way to take your daily dose of CBD. Capsules also come in a pre-measured dosage, allowing users to track consumed dosage more easily. However, similar to edibles, CBD capsules take more time to kick in and deliver potential benefits of CBD due to the digestion process.
Side Effects Of CBD
CBD oil is suitable for daily use or intake on days when you have to concentrate. The great news, CBD doesn’t decrease your productivity and critical points, such as sensory perception, alertness, awareness, consciousness, inhibitions, heart rate and blood pressure.
Cannabidiol is generally a safe and well-tolerated product, but some people after it’s consumption may experience side effects, such as:
- Dry mouth
- Changes in appetite or weight
Also, the use of CBD infused products along with other types of medications, can cause side effects or affect the performance of a specific product. Consult a doctor before using two or more medications together.
Additionally, pay particular attention if you take medications that come with a “grapefruit warning.”
Post written by AlphaGreen CBD